Saturday, May 28, 2011

Epiphany

While browsing for info on photography for etsy and talking to my computer-savvy son, I had an epiphany. There are two mindsets when it comes to doing things on the computer. There are people who fearlessly fiddle around and try every button on menus until they figure out how to do something. And....there are people who search desperately for a step-by-step manual, a diagram, a person who can simply tell them in plain English: "Click that button." Why is this so? My training in education taught me to read instructions, follow directions, and, when you can't find something, ask the reference librarian or teacher for help. There is no reference librarian on your computer. There is no teacher. You have to figure things out for yourself. You have to boldly go. I'm not sure if the two mindsets are a generational thing or a personality trait. I simply know that I need to take better photos if I want to succeed as an online beadmaker. I just wish there was a computer-savvy reference librarian or a photography teacher leading me by the hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment